Scholarship Application Resources for High School Staff
Great Jobs KC
How to get your questions answered:
Email: email@example.com – emails will be responded to within one business day.
Phone: 816-581-5700 – You will be prompted to leave a voicemail, and voicemails will be returned within 48 hours.
The application for the 9th grade College Savings Match Program and the 11th grade Traditional Scholarship opens on January 9, 2024 and closes on February 23, 2024 at 11:59 p.m.
Application Prep Materials:
High School Application Preview Session Recording – Click Here.
High School Application Preview Session Presentation Only – Click Here.
KC Scholars Increasing Applicants Suggested Practices – Click Here.
KC Scholars Federal Student Aid Estimator Guide – Click Here.
9th Grade College Savings Match Application Checklist – Click Here.
11th Grade Traditional Scholarship Application Checklist – Click Here.
KC Scholars is using the Federal Student Aid Estimator to determine financial eligibility. To be eligible to apply, a student's Student Aid Index (SAI) must be 12,000 or less.
If you’re unsure how to complete the Student Aid Estimator to determine income eligibility, please refer to the Federal Student Aid Estimator Guide made specifically for purposes of applying to KC Scholars.
KC Scholars recommends these best practices, keeping in mind that different schools will have different strategies to best serve their students. Click Here
The prompts are on the Application Checklists and are below:
1. Describe a time when you worked hard to achieve a goal and succeeded. What was the goal and what steps did you take to achieve the goal?
2. How would receiving this award impact your desire and ability to go to college?
1. What does your community mean to you and what are ways you plan to contribute once you graduate college?
2. What makes you want to pursue a college degree? How will earning a college degree enable you to reach your personal and/or career goals?
Use these Application Checklists to help prepare students:
9th Grade College Savings Match Recommenders
1. Describe and provide an example of the character and good citizenship.
2. Describe and provide an example of the applicant's study habits and commitment to learning.
3. Describe and provide an example of the applicant's desire to attend college.
4. Describe and provide an example of the applicant's motivation as it relates to academic, personal, and career goals.
5. Describe and provide an example of the applicant's volunteer participation, involvement in extracurricular activities, leadership experiences, and/or community volunteerism and involvement.
11th Grade Traditional Scholarship Recommenders
1. Describe and provide an example of the applicant's character and good citizenship.
2. Describe and provide an example of the applicant's study habits and/or commitment to learning.
3. Describe and provide an example of the applicant's participation in employment, in-school or extracurricular activities, leadership experiences, and/or community volunteerism and involvement while in high school.
4. Describe and provide an example of why the KC Scholars scholarship is important to the applicant's ability to attend college and to achieve their future goals.
5. Describe and provide an example of the applicant's preparation for college. Include any participation in college enrichment activities - AP courses, college test prep, dual credit courses, early college, Real World Learning, AVID, IB, college access program participation.
On the school level reports that are emailed weekly during application season you will find information reagrding students from your school that have entered our application portal. You will be able to determine which section sof the application they have completed (indicated by the number 1) and which sections of the application they have not completed (indicated by the number 0). Use this report to ensure all eligible students complete all portions of the application.
Schools will receive the report at different times and days throughout the week, though each high school will get theirs on the same day/time every week.
Transcripts may be unofficial but students are required to submit their final grades including the Fall 2023 semester. We realize that grades/the semester may not be finalized until later this month or early February; this should not delay your students from applying. They can still create an account, complete the eligibility quiz by answering “they anticipate to have at least a 2.5 unweighted GPA,” and if eligible, continue to the application. As a reminder, they can complete tasks in any order.
Those applying to our 9th grade College Savings Match Program should ensure their 9th grade transcripts should show final grades for Fall of 2023.
Those applying to our 11th grade Traditional Scholarship Program should ensure their 11th grade transcripts should show final grades for both semesters of 9th grade year, 10th grade year, and the 1st semester of their 11th grade year.
Use the attached materials to promote our Great Jobs KC Programs around your school community. We have provided flyers that you may print and/or email. We also have a slide deck that covers our programs for you to use to when hosting events and Great Jobs KC has a program related to your event.
Scholarship Details and Eligibility Criteria
9th Grade College Savings Match Program
Students with 529 College Savings Plans are four times more likely to complete college. Begin saving and planning for college and your path to a more financially secure future.
The Great Jobs KC – KC Scholars Scholarship Program Match and Incentive program provides eligible students with a 1:1 match and incentives up to $1,400 to use toward college. It is a one-time award. Match and incentive participants must enroll in college full-time following high school graduation and remain enrolled full-time at one of our 19 Post-secondary Network campuses while receiving Great Jobs KC funding
Students must meet all of the following requirements to apply:
- Be a current 9th grader during the application cycle;
- Be home-schooled or attend a public, charter, or private high school in the following counties: Cass, Clay, Jackson and Platte (MO) or Johnson and Wyandotte (KS);
- Have at least a 2.5 cumulative unweighted GPA fall semester of 9th grade;
11th Grade Traditional Scholarship
Ewing Marion Kauffman believed that nothing should stand in the way of anyone who wants to get a college degree. We agree and make it our mission to help remove the barriers that keep low- and moderate-income students from achieving their dreams of going to college. One of the programs that allows us to help make this a reality for thousands of Kansas City students is our Traditional Scholarship for 11th graders. This scholarship provides for up to $50,000 paid directly to the college, over the course of up to six years.
Students must meet all of the following requirements to apply:
- Be a current 11th grader during the application cycle;
- Be home-schooled or attend a public, charter, or private high school in the following six counties: Cass, Clay, Jackson and Platte (MO) or Johnson and Wyandotte (KS);
- Have at least a 2.5 cumulative high school unweighted GPA (five semesters from 9th grade to the fall semester of 11th grade) or at least a 16 on the ACT or at least an 800 on the SAT); and